Sponsor your Dependent Child/ Adopted Child
If you’re eligible, you can sponsor your dependent children/ adopted Child to become permanent residents of Canada.
Children qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
- they’re under 22 years old
- they don’t have a spouse or common law partner
Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
- they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
- they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22.
There are two processes that you must go through when you adopt a child from another country: the adoption process and the immigration process. The immigration process has two parts:
- the application for sponsorship; and
- the application for permanent residence for the child.
Once the adoption process is in progress and you have received a Letter of No Objection from the province or territory, you can apply to sponsor your child. After that, you can apply for a permanent resident visa for your child to come to Canada.