Open Work Permits

SWIC Immigration

Open Work Permits

An open Work Permit is a work permit that is not Employer or Job specific. As the work permit is open the applicant does not need a Labour Market Impact Assessment or an Offer of Employment in order to apply for the same.

Applicants can apply for an Open work Permit under the following situations:

  • an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program
  • a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)
  • have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada.
  • applied for permanent residence in Canada
  • are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
  • are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
  • are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
  • are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member
  • are under an unenforceable removal order
  • are a temporary resident permit holder
  • are a young worker participating in special programs

Please contact us at for more information.