Spousal or Common Law

SWIC Immigration

Sponsoring your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner

Citizens and permanent residents of Canada may sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner to obtain permanent resident status. IRCC must approve of the sponsor and the sponsored person.

To receive approval, the sponsor and sponsored person must demonstrate to IRCC their relationship falls under of the following categories:

  • Spouse
  • Common-law partner
  • Conjugal partner

Note: Canada recognizes same-sex relationships

Canadian citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to sponsor if they meet this criteria:

  • They are at least 18 years old.
  • They are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or they are registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act. Canadian citizens living abroad must demonstrate to IRCC they plan to live in Canada with their partner once their partner becomes a permanent resident. Permanent residents must be residing in Canada to be eligible to sponsor.
  • They demonstrate they are not receiving social assistance unless they have a disability.
  • They can provide for the financial needs of the sponsored person.

Please contact us at info@swicimmigration.ca for more information.